This is a great vegetarian dish in both winter and summer and one of my favourites. Don't be put off by the number of ingredients it's pretty quick and easy to prepare. The picture is from a recent cooking demonstration I did and it only took about 20mins from start to finish once the ingredients were assembled. Get the kids involved, this one is fun!
The recipe is one I have adapted from the Heart Foundation's website https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/recipes/falafel-bowl
There are plenty of other great tasty and nutritious recipes on their site.
1 can of no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 clove of garlic minced
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon of toasted cumin seed
2 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 small cucumber, diced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup reduced fat Greek yoghurt
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 x pieces of mountain bread to serve
2 lemon wedges
1. Place chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, cumin seeds, flour and egg into a food processor and process until almost smooth. Using your hands, divide the mixture into 8 and roll 8 falafel patties (TIP - if your hands are wet it is sometimes easier to roll and keeping them small means they cook fast). Cover and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare parsley salad. Combine parsley, tomatoes, red onion
ion, cucumber, and lemon juice in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. To make tahini yoghurt, whisk together yoghurt, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, ground cumin, pepper and olive oil in a small bowl until well combined.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
5. To serve, divide the parsley salad, falafels and breads
between 2 bowls. Place the mountain bread in the bowl, add the salad, then the felafals.
6. Top with tahini yoghurt and a lemon wedge.